Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I am there.

Originally Posted: Monday, January 19, 2009

Yes, I am here. I'm in Washington, D.C. for the Inauguration of Barack Obama. Yesterday, I attended the Freedom Celebration and heard, among an entourage of celebrities, Barack Obama speak. Today, at our Presidential Classroom meeting, I saw President Bill Clinton only about 50 feet away giving a great speech. He spoke to us at his alma mater, Georgetown University. Tomorrow, I am to attend the Inauguration. I cannot say how exciting this has all been. I cannot express enough how proud I am to be here right now.

As for the general mood, you can feel the excitement building in the crowds. I do see some of the locals getting really frustrated on the Metro because of all the people. After the Freedom Celebration, everyone was in unison. We were all smiling, excited, and all of the same mind knowing that being here would likely be the most historic thing to happen to us in our lifetimes.

Washington is also not short of Obama Memorabilia, good grief. If you want a t-shirt, now's your chance. I caved and bought some coffee cups, coins, and a shot glass for my baby brother who I'm sure will put it to good use.


I video taped Bill Clinton's speech today, but the way it was compressed is not allowing me to transfer it to my computer to play it on Windows Media Player. I'll try to upload to You Tube later via the camera itself when I am able to charge the battery back up.
At the First Ladies exhibit in the American History Museum, they already have Michelle Obama's picture up. My life seems more complete every minute I'm here. Being here, winding through the streets of Georgetown, grabbing lunch in Crystal City, and seeing everyone celebrating down at The Mall , makes me miss this place all the more. This is my 8th and best trip to D.C., and I cannot wait to tell my children and grandchildren and on down my stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment