Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Bleeding Dry

Originally Posted: Sunday, February 1, 2009

It is 11:46pm. I have just watched my neighbor's car get repo'd.

I've seen it before, except last time the man was out in his yard yelling at the guy for taking his truck. And, it occurred in my neighborhood, where people were just trying to make ends meet one way or another. Now, it's different. I don't live where I grew up any more. I made my way in to one of the nicer neighborhoods locked into high rent and student loan repayments. I didn't think that repossession happened here. Everyone acts too good to look at you, especially at a Southern girl who grew up wondering if the lights would be cut off again, the child of parents who used to wonder where their next meal would come from. I guess in this economy, the repo guy isn't affected by a dirty look, because he obnoxiously kept his diesel engine running while he took care of business.

The funny thing is, here, this type of thing would be scandalous because it doesn't happen. Now, as I look out at the dark, huge townhomes trying to conceal that they can't afford to have furniture, I know that they are thinking what I am thinking. It's so easy to be the next one the Repo Guy comes after. If I lose my job tomorrow, I'm totally screwed.

I watched as he pulled the car onto the back of the truck. A small red light cast a glow onto the snow, causing the illusion of a pool of bright, red blood

No comments:

Post a Comment