Sunday, January 24, 2010

Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am watching a History Channel show talking about the assassination of Dr. King. Every time I hear him speak, I am so moved. There was the obvious natural born charisma he possessed, but the words he spoke were so profound and so long awaited.

I was fortunate enough to attend the Inauguration of President Obama last year at this time. I remember at the Freedom Celebration, it was so amazing to think that I was standing in such an historical moment and place where there were not just black and not just white attending, but there was such a myriad of colors to be seen. It was America as it should be, as it was meant to be. It was a common gathering of people celebrating the progress of a nation where anyone can be anything they want.

I do not pretend that I am not white. I do not pretend that I didn't grow up in South Georgia where had I posted this even 20 years ago I would have done better to simply move out of town. I do not deny that I have ancestors who hated and did abhorrent things. I also can help all of that about as much as I can change the color of my own skin. And, I am not so naive to say that racism no longer exists even down to my own generation. I know because I have seen it first hand. However, I have also seen such a dramatic shift in the beliefs of my generation, and even the generation before mine. I have seen men who would not have heard of being friends with a different race who now embrace their children's love for everyone and the combining of cultures, colors, and beliefs. What causes this dramatic shift? I believe wholeheartedly that it is education. As my college sociology teacher, Ms. Brooks, told us at the beginning of class, the more educated we become, the less prejudice we would be. The ability to argue and discuss verbally and in a structured manner, where everyone is heard, progresses society as a whole.

Now, if we could just improve our education system...

No comments:

Post a Comment