Friday, January 22, 2010

I Miss Real Dates

What happened to real "dates" anyway? You know, the guy asks the girl out, he pays and handles everything, and he doesn't get pissed that she didn't give him some because he was expecting better from the first date. Yes, I'm Little Miss Independent, and I've got the career and all that goes with it, but that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate effort and respect.

I've all but given up on dating anyway. The last date I went on involved going out for drinks, him groping me and getting really pissed that I didn't let him come up to my apartment. The next one is not really a date. We are meeting for the "5-8" special priced meal during the week. I guess it's cool that some guys respect that some women are insulted when a guy offers to pay, but why not make the chivalrous effort? Don't worry, I don't feel like I owe you a damn thing just because you bought me dinner. If it was for sale, you'd better pull out more cash than that.

I guess that's why I like the older guys. They know better most of the time, and they have all the awkward parts figured out already because they've been there. It's not the money. Any jackass can have money, and I make enough on my own. Older men just seem to be more caring, loving, and appreciative of the fact that you aren't giving it up every drunk party. They appreciate the intrigue, the chase, the "spark" if you will. It's just more fun that way. Of course, it's just awkward to meet their kids who are about my age or older in some cases.

So what is a real date? It's that old fashioned notion. It's him coming to pick me up for the evening (and that does not mean honking the horn when you get here), and we go to dinner and some sort of event be it the cinema or a symphony or some place of common interest, and we simply enjoy each other's company.




No comments:

Post a Comment